Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Run or Tiptoe?

"We have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding" (Colossians 1:9).

How often do we want to know God's will?  I am forever wishing I knew what I should do in a particular situation, wishing I knew the future and could plan accordingly now. Life continually throws new challenges at us, new paths we could follow if we choose.  How do we know how to make decisions? How do we know if we should go forward with something or hang back cautiously?

I am not pretending to have "the answer" to knowing God's will in all circumstances, but I do think this verse offers insight as I look to the New Year and any new directions I may be pondering.

First of all, knowing God's will involves prayer.  We need to be praying, actively seeking God's guidance, as well as allowing other people to pray for us.  I remember a friend once advising, "Never pass up the opportunity to let someone pray for you."

Second, knowing his will requires spiritual wisdom and understanding.  Such wisdom often stands in opposition to the world's wisdom.  Spiritual wisdom can only come from God, as the result of his Holy Spirit giving us discernment to comprehend truth in a specific situation.

As I look to the excitement of a New Year and all its hopes and dreams, I know of several areas in my life that require prayer and spiritual wisdom to know God's will for me.  For example, with a new time commitment, how much time should be spent on that commitment?  When will I fit it in?  How will this impact other aspects of my life?  Will I need to make changes to accomodate that commitment?

Through prayer and a prayer journal, I need to spend time bringing each goal for the year before God and pray about it. Once I feel I have understanding, I can run forward on the path instead of tiptoeing.  I'm good at tiptoeing.  I need to work on the running.

No comments:

Post a Comment