Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Recognizing Talents

Last night at dinner we were talking about someone who is artistic.  The kids each mentioned an artist they had met recently, and my husband pointed out to them that each of us has certain gifts and talents.  He looked at my five-year-old son and asked, "Do you know what some of your gifts are?"

Without hesitation, my son, said, "Yes. Smart.  Leader.  And I help people when they need it."

Wow. I was bowled over.  I had anticipated some confusion and our having to help him out, perhaps a discussion about how gifts can be more highly developed over time.  Seeds planted...blossoms eventually growing...that sort of thing.

I guess I could learn a thing or two from my son. He feels sure of some wonderful qualities in himself and knows they are gifts.  If I ask myself, "Do you know what your gifts are?," what is my answer?

I think in some sense, I may have had a clearer picture of innate gifts and interests as a child.  Some of the games we played, especially when alone or "unsupervised," revealed such interesting versions of ourselves.  The library we started in my brother's room, the plays we were always producing and starring in, the rodeo we planned, the school we started for the toddlers on our block, the kid-fort-town we designed behind the garage. If we could dream it up, it could happen.

As adults, we sometimes let obligations, responsibility, and maybe a little cynicism cloud the picture.  If we can dream it up, we don't always believe it can happen. We overthink the logistics.  We spend too much time planning a dive instead of jumping into the pool, making a splash, and starting to swim.

Sometimes we should think back to those bold dreams and childhood clarities.  Oh, to know that you are wise... or a leader.. or a helper or...  What a gift to internalize these qualities and feel sure.

2 comments:

  1. Little White Riding Hood was the first I remember at your house on Locke Lane.

    ReplyDelete