Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Discipline of Writing

Writing is like a diet regimen.  You have to get up every day and make it a priority.  You have to make time in your schedule to deal with the logistics...What's the weekly menu?  What do I already have and what do I need?  When will I make the meal? How will I stay inspired?  How can I exercise to stay in shape?

Funny how on New Year's Day I can re-commit, and here on January 19th, I am having to re-commit again.

What I know is that when I write regularly, I start thinking like a writer.  All during the day, I get ideas and think, "I want to write about that;" I'll think of phrases or hear dialogue I want to remember.  I get excited to write. I feel like it's part of the day, part of my "to do" list.

What I also know is that when I don't write regularly, I find it very hard to start again. My mind is blank, no ideas. None. I look at a lonely computer and remember when.  I think about a sharpened pencil and blank journal and all the ideas that were, and I wonder where they went.

Last week, I fell off the bandwagon.  The end of last week, we listed our house for sale.  So during the first part of the week, when I wanted to sit down and write, I told myself, I had to do some chores first.  I needed to prepare the house and clean out closets and pack up clutter and go to Goodwill and be stressed and cranky and not exercise either for that matter...just try to focus on the task at hand.  But I have to say I missed the writing. 

And though it's already Wednesday of this week, I really didn't know what to say. So I'm just saying that I fell off the horse and am climbing back in that already dusty saddle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment