Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Foiled Again

I have always heard the story of how Abraham Lincoln lost all these political races before becoming one of the most memorable and respected Presidents of all time.  I have heard about people being told they could not do something, so that made them all the more determined to accomplish that goal.  My husband recently heard a talk by Aimee Mullins, a woman who had her legs amputated as a baby but who has gone on to compete as a runner, be a model, and be an actress.  http://www.ted.com/speakers/aimee_mullins.html

I usually hear these inspirational stories a bit removed from myself. I think of the human spirit, the way God works hardships to the good.  I tend to think that these are extreme cases of nobility, people designed to be heroes. 

What I don't dwell on is the part about getting over rejection.  The part about saying yes, when circumstances say no.

That is hard stuff, and that is something I encounter most days.  I set a goal like getting up early to write, but the baby wakes up at that time, too. Goal interrupted.  I set a goal like going to the gym to exercise, but the baby is sick and can't be in the gym nursery.  These are little bitty examples from an ordinary human life--not anything like the heroic goals of some people out there--but what I am thinking about today is that it would be heroic for me to respond to these "No's" with some creative "Yes's."

Yes, I have to be realistic that when babies and children are in the picture (a beautiful picture!), things are messy.  Schedules are unpredictable.  You put them ahead of you.  You take care of them.  You love them.

But what if I didn't accept defeat of my goals? What if I didn't give up so easily? What if I worked harder and was more creative with my time?

I'm just thinking that Aimee Mullins and Abraham Lincoln did not throw their hands up and say, "Forget it. Why even try?"

No comments:

Post a Comment