Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Refresh Button

I like how webpages have a "refresh" button. I was following a newsstory yesterday as it was unfolding, and I could refresh the page to see when new facts had been added to the story.

I am needing to be refreshed today. I need a button to push that will start this page over and give an updated version. What would the updated version be like? New gripes and whines in the leading paragraph? Or maybe a new grudge or bitter taste about a personal interaction with someone?

I would like for the refresh button to actually refresh, not just add new data. I would like it to tell a better story, not a more tragic one.

Today at Bible study, someone asked whom we are listening to: our Father in Heaven? Or the Father of Lies? I want my refresh button to be a re-focusing on the truth that comes from my Father in Heaven. I do not want to add misinformation and lies to my story. I do not want to add worries and fears or complaints and criticisms. I want to be refreshed, which according to my Bible dictionary, also means renewed, revived, restored.

For me, the refresh button has got to be getting into the Word of God. I need to see truth written in Scripture. I need my mind to be renewed in order to revive my heart and restore my spirit.

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." (Philippians 4:8-9)

What am I dwelling on? What am I putting into practice? Am I feeling His peace?

What are other ways to be refreshed?

No comments:

Post a Comment