Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Playing with Pea Gravel


Our old house had a section of pea gravel in the backyard.  It was perfect for the swingset, and it was perfect for toy dump trucks and shovels and wheel barrows.  (Our dog also thought is was perfect as a sort of kitty litter-type spot for him to do his business.)

When we moved, we no longer had pea gravel. Just grass and dirt.  I had no problem with this and did not even really notice, but after a few weeks, my 6-year-old brought it up.

"Mom, I need dad to go to Home Depot to get some pea gravel," he declared.  "And I need to go with him because there are different types of pea gravel, and he might get the wrong size."

"OK, honey," I said, "but why do you need pea gravel?"

"For my trucks. We used to have it, and I need it for my dump trucks and digger trucks."

Well, there you have it.  They came home with a tub full, and he and his sister had a great time digging.  You never know what will make kids smile.

Does anyone else have easy summer backyard ideas for kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment