Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Thursday, July 7, 2011

How to Create a Sense of Occasion

My mom has a knack for making a holiday seem special.  She goes all out on decorations, and she makes sure that all the details of the gathering point back to the reason we're celebrating.

This 4th of July was a perfect example.


At the bay house my parents share with my brother's family, we all gathered to celebrate.  When we arrived, we were immediately in the spirit of the weekend.


And throughout the weekend, we had to appreciate all the details and effort.  Who knew a simple flag or two could add such a sense of occasion?



Besides decorations, games and paper goods added to the festive air.



On special occasions, I appreciate that my mom has always added her own touch to the holiday.  It has inspired me to want to do that for my own family, to create memories and treasure significant moments in our lives.  It takes time.  It takes effort.  It often takes advanced planning. But it is so worth it.

How do you create a sense of occasion?

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth,
    I am soooo enjoying your "Reflective Mothering!" So quietly inspiring. You have such a beautiful spirit!

    ReplyDelete