Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Listening Daily

"Blessed is the man who listens to me [wisdom], watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway.   For whoever finds me finds life"  (Proverbs 8:34-5).

I want to take more time to pause and be still during each day.  I want to make sure that, at some point, I take a moment to withdraw from the hectic pace, turn off the background noise, shut my eyes to the visual chaos... even if it means locking myself in the bathroom for a few minutes.

For me, the daily discipline of being still and listening to wisdom is even harder in the summer.  Not being on a schedule and not having the rhythms of the school day make me very loosey goosey.  I'm on vacation! We all are!

But there are times during summer's action-packed days when I crave time to be dreamy.  I want to be alone. 

I loved the reminder in the verse above that daily watching, waiting, and listening for wisdom is a blessing and brings life. 

The fact that this listening brings life is why I start craving the stillness. I know my time has been busy with travel and fun and togetherness, but I also need to make sure I'm taking time to be still.

How do you watch, wait, and listen during summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment