Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Feeding Masses with Loaves and Fish

"'Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?'" (John 6:9)

Twice this summer I have invited over friends for lunch only to realize once they had arrived that we were low on provisions. Hmmm... the whole swim class and moms and siblings? How did I miss that all our sandwich bread had dwindled to only half a loaf?  Tuna salad for my friend and me while our kids ate their sandwiches? Oops. Good thing I had half an apple and some sweet pickles to add to my measly can of tuna. I always have extra tuna in the pantry. Where did it go?

The good news? Everyone was fed. Everyone was satisfied.

I am glad to learn this lesson of creative stretching, of opening doors before realizing maybe I "shouldn't."

I need to extend this to more areas of my life. I try to take control instead of letting the Lord work in His way, in His time.  I want to get my ducks in a row.  I want to know how everything will turn out, and if I can't see how, I need a plan! And a backup plan.  It gets exhausting.

I love the little boy in this passage of Jesus's feeding the 5000. He is earnest and trusting.  He does what he's told and is generous, but he's bold and courageous, too.  I tend to be more like Andrew, the disciple reporting to Jesus about the boy's offering; I tend to doubt that such a little portion could actually pan out into a miracle of provision.

And not only does Jesus provide; he gave them each as much as they wanted. And there were leftovers.

Our God is an awesome God.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Last Spring I had unexpected dinner guests twice in one week, and I hadn't even made it to the grocery store for my own family! I had to pull out spaghetti and a jar of sauce from the back of the pantry-awk! I love your beautiful reminder to "let the Lord work in His way, in His time," but, ON THE OTHER HAND, for those of us who like to have "a plan and a backup plan," as you say, does anyone know a great, quick meal that we can all store in the pantry (made with non-perishables) to whip out when we have unexpected guests for lunch/dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant question! I would LOVE to know this, too.

    ReplyDelete