Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Reading to the Baby

This morning I read two stories to our 11-month-old while we rocked in our cushy white glider. I try to read at least one book to him each day, and this morning he was being so still and watchful while I read that I went on to the second book.

I had gotten these particular books at the library when I last took my 4- and 5-year-olds to replenish their supply. That trip was the first time I checked books out for the baby. We have so many well-worn board books at home that I usually grab those from the shelf, but it was nice to change it up.

I think from the age of 10 months to 2 it is sometimes hard time to find the perfect book to grab a little one's attention. At that age, they love to eat books and rip books and occasionally flip pages and look at pictures and bang on the covers. But actually engage in the story?

A few that are tried and true in our family are, of course, Goodnight Moon and Brown Bear, Brown Bear, but also Dear, Zoo. In fact, I need to get new copies for the latter two because ours are really disgusting by now and probably a health hazard for a teething baby.

I'd love to hear other recommendations for baby books! The holidays are coming (and my baby's first birthday! Say it isn't so...)!





No comments:

Post a Comment