Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Busy Busy Holidays

Everyone is busy these days, ramping up preparations for the holidays. Carving pumpkins; hanging webs, spiders, and ghosts on the houses and trees; getting costumes and candy ready; hosting parties or attending them. And people are already buzzing with plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Meal plans, gift giving, cards to send, travel plans.

This time of year kicks off a season of insanity. Just writing about it is getting my adrenaline going, making me want to make a list and check it twice.

The truth is, even though we have this party tomorrow at our house, I find myself looking past it to all the other things that need to get done, too. Somehow, I ordered our Christmas cards this week. Good! But what about getting my house organized and decorated and food prepared for tomorrow?

Well, thanks to friends who sent me some festive recipes, I now have a "menu" for the party. I also have the groceries. Today I have to get busy with cooking.

I decided I needed to read a little reminder about busy-ness, and I thought of Mary and Martha. Martha opened her home to Jesus. Her sister Mary, "sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made." She started complaining to Him that it wasn't fair and He should make Mary get up and help. Jesus said, "'Martha, Martha,... you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her" (Luke 10: 38-42).

Martha was doing what had to be done, but she lost her focus. Jesus was gentle in His reminder; He re-focused her heart.

I want to create a warm, festive atmosphere at our party, but I don't want to be stressed. When I put the world's perfectionist pressure on myself, I get stressed. I then get impatient with my kids and race around. Because my mom and grandmother are amazing hostesses, I put pressure and expectations on myself to perform this high level of hospitality. But I need to choose what is better, the one thing, and keep my eyes there while completing what has to be done.

Hmmm... I'd better get busy. Busy in a focused way? Might need some people to pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment