Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Listening Ear

The last few weeks in Bible Study, one of the teachers has been opening our time together with "listening prayer." She plays a song while we close our eyes and try to still our thoughts and listen.

I first thought about listening during prayer in high school after reading an entry in the devotional Streams in the Desert. It talked about how our tendency in prayer is to talk, talk, talk, ask, ask, ask, but not listen. If prayer is our time with God, we usually are pretty one-sided. We might think of reading Scripture as our time to listen, but I am challenged to be more open to listening during my prayer time.

"He wakens me morning by morning,
wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.
The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears,
and I have not been rebellious;
I have not drawn back" (Isaiah 50:4-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment