Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Daughter of a King

I am amazed at how much little girls love the idea of a princess. The pink, the purple, the glitter, the gown, the crown. Dressing up, whether for Halloween or just because it's a Thursday after lunchtime, is such fun for my little girl. I love that once she's in costume, she behaves differently. She walks tall, and she often twirls, morphing into a ballerina princess.

The past couple of days, I have thought several times about my identity as a daughter--not the daughter of my parents, but the daughter of The King.

"Those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.' The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ" (Romans 8:14-17).

What does this sonship, or daughtership in my case, mean? What does being an heir to the King mean?

I do not have to prove myself to anyone. I am the daughter of the King. I do not have to earn my worth. I am the daughter of the King. I do not have to strive for the things of this world. I am the daughter of the King. I can walk tall and feel beautiful. I am the daughter of the King. I can be bold and not fearful. I am protected, the daughter of the King. I am provided for. I am the daughter of the King.

What will I do differently today, knowing that I am the daughter of the King?

No comments:

Post a Comment