Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Oh, Deer

This morning I went for a walk before the heat starting breathing on me.  It was around 9 in the morning, a popular Saturday walking time in our neighborhood, and I wasn't alone.  I saw other walkers, and then I saw a surprise.

As the main road curved, a deer poked her head out from behind a small tree in the yard of a corner house.  She looked at me, blinking and studying me. I stopped and watched.  We were both still and stared.  She stepped out into the yard. Then we both heard a car. A white SUV drove up, and my deer took off running down the street in the opposite direction, her hooves clacking on the pavement.

I followed her into a cul-de-sac, but she disappeared -- probably into that expansive lawn that backed up to the golf course.  Looked like a nice spot.

I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the walk. Such a fun surprise. I kept hearing the hooves on the pavement and just wondering.  I love little gifts of nature in our busy world.  They just make you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment