Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Daylight Savings and Turkey Feet

On Saturday evening, my husband said, "Daylight Savings...Fall Back..So tomorrow we GAIN an hour; right?"

I looked at him and said, "If you can explain that to the kids, then yes, we will gain an hour.  Before we had kids, yes, we gained an hour."  I don't recall ever gaining an hour in the past five years of Daylight Savings.

Sure enough, Monday morning, everyone was up at 5:45 and ready to get dressed for school.

We were already exhausted from a two-day trip to Dallas, which was a blast, but did not include great sleep only because of children's coughs and midnight wakings and wanderings, disoriented in a new place.

Then on our return, I had to stay up late to cram in an assignment for school on Monday. It seems crazy that I could be cramming at this phase in my life, but I had volunteered to trace and cut about a million paper turkey feathers, turkey necks, and turkey feet.  When I did this, the teacher looked me in the eyes and said, "Are you sure?" I should have known. That was a clear warning, complete with a teacher look, that this was not a good idea. But I was picturing sitting on the couch and catching up on Gray's Anatomy. How easy! How long could it take? It took hours.

Now everyone has coughs, and the baby keeps waking himself up with coughing.  Last night, our 4-year-old was up twice, once with an accident.

We are still looking to gain an hour of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment