Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Feeling Frumpy

I went to Parents Night last week. While I did pay attention to the content of the evening, I also paid attention to the parents attending--mainly the moms. I can't help but look around and see who these moms are, who will be room mother, who will be raising money for the school, who will be helping with the class Valentine's Party.

If I am honest, this examination of my peers is not all about the business of school. I am also wondering which moms might become friends, whose children might be my children's friends.

And the ugly truth is I am also checking out their appearances: She is so skinny! Look at that amazing outfit! How can she walk in those super high spiky heels?

My insecurities about my own appearance--weight, hastily put-together outfit (because I was worried my original plan made me look pregnant), flats (because I had to have closed-toe shoes since my pedicure wasn't current)--made me focus on the appearance of others. And feel envy.

Imagine my surprise when I read the next morning in Psalm 73:
" I envied [them]... when I saw the prosperity...
They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong.
They are free from the burdens common to man;
they are not plagued by human ills" (73:3-5).

I almost laughed out loud to see the Psalmist moaning about his comparisons with others--"They don't even have human problems!"

He spends most of the Psalm in a comparison with others until verse 17, when he says,
"till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood...."

After Parents Night, I needed to get back to the sanctuary. Every day, I need to get back to the sanctuary.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, as I told EPE the other day...this blog couldn't have come at a better time for me! I opened up her email while I was sitting at the Children's Museum with my kids. That's right, I was READING MY EMAIL when I should have been having a fun moment with my kids. Yikes. Eye opener! As for today's entry, there will always be times where we will be watching around the room and be envious of others - we're human. But I loved that you found Psalm 73 right afterward and trotted off to read the entire passage! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete