Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Monday, April 19, 2010

Five Minutes

Five minutes. That may be all I have until 8 p.m. or so. If I were honest, I don't really have it right now. It's not like I don't have laundry to do (some of the beds aren't even made, and it's 5 p.m.). But I have dinner under control, the baby hasn't woken up, the big kids are playing, and I just wrote a thank-you note. I feel like I can take five minutes to reflect.

It's funny how the mornings start out so full of hope and ambition. My mental "to do" list is strong, and even when I write it out, I am only slightly deterred by the length. I feel good, ready, like I can do it. I envision the end of the day: the closets are finally completely cleaned out and organized (my husband asked a couple of days ago "what it would take" to get rid of the bags of Goodwill clothes in the hallway....Hmmm... a miracle?), I have done at least one load of laundry, the kitchen is clean and dinner is ready, I've addressed my 4-year-old's birthday invitations and put them in the mail, made a meal plan and grocery list for the week (I go to the store on Tuesdays and Fridays), I've showered and look cute.

Well, let me reflect...I did address the invitations (with the help of my secretary, my 3-year-old), I did make one bed (mine), I did clean the kitchen (but it's not that clean now), I did make the meal plan and grocery list. I have not taken a shower (but have semi-makeup on), the closets are still bulging, the bags for Goodwill are still in the hallway, I have not done laundry (but surely I can still do that before I go to bed).

But two fun things I did...a long walk with my friend and our babies in strollers. It was in the low 60s outside in late April! Loved it. I also went to the knitting store to get help on two projects on which I'd made a few mistakes. I always love going to the knitting store. I might write about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment