Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Time to Reflect

In church this morning, our pastor told about Charles Wesley's mode of self-reflection. He would pause each hour to examine his motives from the past hour and see where he had veered off from his focus on God. Then he could refocus his mind before moving forward again.

Whether it's hourly or daily, I need to be taking time to look at my motives for my actions and my attitude. This morning? It seems like Sunday mornings I'm always wanting "me" time--time for my coffee, my newspaper, my robe. I get my hackles up with each "mom!" that gets hollered. I resist making breakfast for anyone (except feeding the baby), and I truly desire to be indulgent and still on the couch.

Today, my sweet husband let me sleep in, made breakfast for the big kids, and got them dressed for church. Granted, I did the same for him yesterday on Saturday morning, but if I examine my attitude, I didn't have a helpful bone in my body this morning. I put on my robe, drank my coffee, sat on the couch, read the paper, ate a piece of bacon my husband had made, fed the baby and got him and me dressed for church. When we were late to church, I said I really wished we could make it on time to church. But was I doing anything to help make that happen? I was acting like it was my day off.

In the profession of mothering, we don't usually get days off, but we can have mornings off, or moments off, and like in any profession, we should pause to reflect on what we are doing. The little gifts of time can recharge us, and they can sharpen us. What are my priorities as a mom? How do I want to parent?

In five minutes, can't I refocus my mind and heart?

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." (Romans 12:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment