Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Nesting


When we'd been in our new house about two days, my son looked out the window and pointed.

"Look!" he said. "A bird is building a nest inside our birdhouse!"

Sure enough, we watched the progress of a little bird carrying twigs in its beak, wings fluttering in to land. A new home!  

We had brought this clay bird from our old house. Originally a gift from my mom, it was really a yard decoration in my mind, not an actual home. I loved it, but I just looked at it.  It even became part of the background after a while, not something I regularly admired.  It was beautiful, but I didn't see it as a home.

I loved that my son now took the time to notice what was happening outside our window. This clay bird, a new home to two real little chirping birds, dangles right outside my daughter's window.  We all like to lay in her bed and sleepily watch those birds.  The way our house is built, we can also see the birdhouse from our living room, dining room, and kitchen.  I like to keep tabs on them.

Their nesting has reminded me of our own nesting in our home.  It also reminds me how simple we can be if we choose. We can gather what we need for being cozy, and then we can get right on with living.  They aren't sitting around fussing with the twig placement; they're flying!  Our birds seem peaceful and right at home. I love watching them, and I love that they moved in right when we did. Our neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment