Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Thursday, June 30, 2011

For the Love of the Game


Our youngest son, age almost 20 months, loves balls. He will go to great lengths to keep track of a ball.  No matter what hurdles he may encounter--table, chair, human, dog--he will find a way. 

Sometimes he gets stuck and needs help. But then he doesn't dwell on the obstacle or the effort, he goes back to playing.

Once the ball is securely in his clutches, he will throw it.  He throws with great enthusiasm, rather than great accuracy.  He smiles and laughs, watching which direction the ball goes.  He will scamper after it, or he'll wait for you to bring it, depending on the game.

He does not know how to catch yet, but that doesn't mean he won't play.

Sometimes I wonder what I may be missing in life.  Am I doggedly determined to pursue a passion? Am I dwelling on hurdles?  When I get stuck, do I quit?  Am I wildly enthusiastic, or do I try too hard to be accurate?  Do I wait until I know I can succeed before jumping in and playing?

I like watching our toddler's gusto.  He is inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment