Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Stealing a Moment to Read

This morning I had planned to get my car inspected after volunteering at the library.  I decided to keep the baby at home with our sitter because he would still be napping after I left the library and I could get these two things checked off at once. 

When I got to Express Lube, the attendant informed me that I did not need my car inspected; I had mixed up the numbers (11 and 10) and thought it expired in November of 2010, but he said the sticker was, in fact, good until October of 2011. Wow! That sort of thing never happens.

So, I had a little extra time on my hands. I did have three quick errands I could run, and those are always a million times faster if I'm by myself. Truly, they took minutes instead of an hour.

But I had been looking forward to finishing my book while I waited for the car to be inspected. I decided I would do the unthinkable. I went to a coffee shop and finished the last few pages of my book. I think I was there only 15 minutes, but the coffee was hot and comforting. It felt like the height of luxury.

But I also felt a little guilty. I felt like I should have gone home to get my baby who was definitely awake by now.  I felt like I was doing something I shouldn't be doing. A little illegal. I'm a stay-at-home mom.  Am I allowed to go get coffee and read a book by myself in the middle of the morning?

I have to say I loved it. I am wondering how I can incorporate this into my routine a little more--sans the guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment