Taking the Time to Look, Listen, and Learn

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Balance Beam

I remember as a child learning to walk on a balance beam, arms out, teetering back and forth until steady enough for a step.  One step forward. Steady. Another step.  Keep the arms out.  It seemed like a long stretch on that beam (even if it was only a few inches off the ground).

As my kids have learned to balance themselves, they love to hop up on any curb or short wall and walk along it as far as they can.  Arms out like airplane flaps, dipping to the right, dipping to the left.  Such concentration.  And such pride in their ability to balance.

Being a mom is pretty much a balancing act. This morning, in thinking of what I like about my life today and what I'm considering adding to my schedule, I am thinking of balance.

What do I use to ensure I stay balanced? What are my "outstretched arms" that keep me on the path, even as I teeter and come close to falling?

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6).

"Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.
Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm.
Do not swerve to the right or the left" (Proverbs 4:25-27a).

No comments:

Post a Comment